Wednesday, September 23, 2009

It's My Turn!

The new year has started and the time has finally come for me to participate in this wonderful new experience. I have been interested in working with the environment for years and when I found out 2 years ago about this research group I couldn’t wait ‘til my senior year. During the first few weeks of the class are numbers got smaller to the point where it might disappear. I hope it doesn’t because from what we have done so far is very enjoyable. From hikes on local trails to read about ‘a sense of wonder’ has made this class exciting. This class also let me bring my love of art into the class from any numbers of pictures.
Also in the small hikes we have done some nature journaling. In these I have been able to reflect on the world around us and how it is changing. I remember when I used to walk along the sides of a stream near my house as a kid and you would see a trash very sparsely and other than that it was fine. Now if I go down to that very stream there are pieces of trash and cans everywhere. I remember one time during a stream clean up that we found a full bag of trash and car parts. It is things like these that make me want to get involved and help out not only with the up-keeping, but to understand how to preserve this earth we share. I am looking forward to a great year.
Written by Kady, Senior.

No comments:

Post a Comment